The process of converting a USB pen-drive into a Bootable one is very simple than you think. The only thing you need to accomplish this is a pen-drive and a DVD having an Operating System inserted in the DVD Rom. Be sure to format the pen-drive before using it.
Open the command prompt in windows. Type in the following command in the command prompt with the pen-drive inserted in the system and the DVD with the OS software inserted in the system.
The command to make the pen drive Bootable is,
xcopy DVDdriveName:*.* /s/e/i penDriveLetter:
The main thing to note here is,
- f is the DVD drive letter or the CD drive letter.
- m is the pen-drive letter
Once you have entered the command the system starts to copy all the contents into the Pen-drive.
Do not remove the Pen Drive or Eject the DVD while the process is going on.
Once the task has been completed, the command prompt will display a completed message. Do not open the Pen-drive to view the contents. Just eject the Pen Drive from the system. To install the operating system from the device do the following steps.
- Insert the Device into the system in which you want to install the OS.
- Press the power button and enter the BIOS settings menu of the system. Each motherboards has a different hot-key to enter into the BIOS settings.
- Search for the option Boot Priority and Bring the Pen Drive in the first place
- Save and Restart the system and the OS will boot as it would form a DVD source.
Once the installation completes, change the Boot priority back to your Hard Disk and Format the Pen Drive to use it back as a normal Pen Drive.